The Transall C-160Z: an aircraft for all seasons
Profile by Amn Mamoshadi Ledwaba and Amn Mamogobo Mamabolo; Corp Com, AFB Swartkop
The Transall C-160 was a medium-haul all-weather military transport designed and built by two European nations namely, France and Germany. The aircraft was designed with the aim of replacing the Nord Noratlas – an aircraft which was employed for fleet transport in France and Germany.
The prototype Transall’s construction was initiated in 1960 and was shared among the main aircraft companies known as Hamburger Flugzeugbau, Nord Aviation and Weser Flugzeugbau. It was powered by two British Rolls-Royce Tyne turboprop engines On 25 February 1963 the first Transall was flown at the Nord plant in France.
Embracing Our Collective Heritage: The SAAF’s First Black Squadron Commander
Author: Major Ntokozo Ntshangase, SAAF Museum; Photos 5 ASU
South African history books would most probably recognise the youth of 1976 and their gallant activities as having been the generation that heeded the words of Frantz Fanon when he called on each generation to “...., discover its mission, fulfil it or betray it, in relative opacity”. Under situations not of their own choosing, they embraced the task at hand and went to work.”
Writing for the Ad Astra, the official SA Air Force magazine in 2007, the late Lt Col Solomon Kotane described the situation under which that generation was first introduced to the world. “They were born and grew up under the shadow of the tumultuous infernos and infectious uprisings that covered the entire country in the 1970s and beyond where thousands of young black men, women and children perished. However, out of the carnage that characterised South Africa then, new young leaders of the struggle for freedom and human rights were catapulted onto the scene. That moment ushered in the beginning of democracy in the country".
SA Post Office reveals SA Air Force collective heritage postage stamps
Author: Lieutenant Colonel S Schultz and photographs by Sergeant Jele, 5ASU
Marathon research, consultation and presentations on what would become the SAAF’s historic postage stamp series for the year 2020 was finally concluded and presented to the Chief of Air Force, Lieutenant General Fabian Zimpande Msimang. The ceremony was a culmination of over sixteen months’ collaboration between the SA Postal Service's Philatelic Services and the SA Air Force Museum, who had been requested to assist in this endeavour.
The Preview of the postage stamps was presented to CAF by the Acting Officer Commanding SA Air Force Museum, Major Ntokozo Ntshangase on Friday, 25 September 2020 at the SA Air Force College in Thaba Tshwane, and contained the exact laser prints of the postage stamp sheet and two First Day of Issue Cover envelopes.
Rolls Royce Eagle Series 8 Engine transferred to SAAF Museum
Author: WO2 Alan Taylor – Technical Historian
The Vimy “Silver Queen II” seen after landing at Bulawayo
The Rolls-Royce Eagle was the first aircraft engine to be developed by Rolls-Royce Limited. At the outbreak of World War I in August 1914, the Royal Aircraft Factory asked Rolls-Royce to develop a new 200hp air-cooled engine and despite initial reluctance they agreed, on condition that it be cooled by water rather than air, as this was the company's area of expertise.
Development of the new 20lt engine was led by Henry Royce from his home in Kent and was based initially on the 7.4lt 40/50 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost.
Adolf "Sailor" Malan
25 Battle of Britain pilots hailed from South Africa. The most famous of them all was Adolph ‘Sailor’ Malan, an excellent fighter pilot, a brilliant tactician, a respected leader, and an inspirational protester against Apartheid.
He was called ‘Sailor’ as he had been in the South African Merchant Navy Academy before joining the RAF in 1936. He was posted to No. 74 Squadron, which was the only squadron he was to serve on. They flew Gloster Gauntlet biplanes until converting to the brand new Supermarine Spitfire in February 1939.
The Squadron’s first operational sortie ended in utter disaster. On 6 September 1939, only hours into the Second World War, the Squadron intercepted what was believed to be an enemy formation.
Largest, Furthest and Longest – the BOEING 707-328C in SAAF Service
Author: WO2 Alan Taylor, SAAF Museum Technical Historian
The acquisition of Boeing 707s in March 1982 was the result of a ten-year project to provide the SAAF with a dedicated In-Flight-Refuelling capability, a role which had been until then undertaken by the Buccaneer S Mk 50 bomber.
An initial three ex-Air France aircraft were acquired through a Belgian company and sent to Bedek Aviation in Israel for overhaul and modification. In addition to serving as Flying Tankers they were also fitted with removable Electronic Warfare (EW) equipment to be able to serve in Electronic Intelligence (ELINT) as well as in passenger-carrying roles.